Growing up, one of my best friends, Maryanne, and I (the friend I visited awhile back in Colorado), volunteered at my local humane society from elementary school through high school. Not only did I find my passion for animals and helping others, but it changed my life. I did everything from walking dogs and playing with cats, to photographing animals for the adoption site and bathing them, to being a counselor for the companion camp and fostering animals, and more. I've always been a HUGE animal lover, and volunteering there made my love for them grow even more. Plus, I adopted some of the most amazing pets while there, and one of them was Jessie! :)
So, I went through a list of shelters I knew of in the area, and I finally decided on one I had seen multiple times at mobile adoptions. Most importantly, I wanted to make sure it was a no-kill shelter. Plus, two other reasons I chose this shelter are because they are pit bull friendly, and because of their Cell Dog project. I called the shelter on Monday to see what they were currently needing the most in donations, and then went to Wal*Mart yesterday to pick up the items. I left with two carts full, and bought dry dog food, dry cat food, kitty litter, stockings filled with cat and dog toys, scratching posts, kitty play cubes, and paper towels.
Tuesday afternoon, my friend, Amy, and I drove to the shelter to drop everything off. She also decided to get some things to donate before we went to the shelter, so we had a full car!
When we got to the shelter, they were beyond grateful for all of the donations, and it made my day to see the look on their faces. The staff members and volunteers were incredibly sweet, and Amy and I got to see all of the animals. It made me miss my days of volunteering at the shelter, but it also made me sad to see all of the homeless ones as well, which brought back memories of animals I worked with who remained at the shelter for over a year until they were adopted. It always amazes me how many there are! :( I loved seeing the cats, but I especially loved seeing the dogs, since mine live at home and I only get to see them every few months. After talking to some of the workers, I'm considering one of the staff member's suggestions to sign up and become a volunteer there, because being there and giving back made me so happy...especially being surrounded by all the animals! :)
Along with the donations, I also decided to bake holiday cookies for the staff and volunteers.
Ingredients:
1 pack Hershey Kisses- Candy Cane
1 pack Toll House- Holiday Chocolate Morsels
Red sugar sprinkles
1 roll Pillsbury dough- Gingerbread Cookies
1 roll Pillsbury dough- Peppermint Sugar Cookies
For the gingerbread cookies, I made big ones, as well as small ones, and did various patterns with the colors. For the candy cane cookies, I made big ones, where I placed the kisses on right from the oven to let them melt, and I also made small ones, where I baked the kisses in them, and let them bake into the cookies. My kitchen smelled amazing! I didn't try any of them once they were finished, but saved a small one of each for my dad and I to try after we have dinner tonight.
Sorry for the long post! I'll leave you with a few of my favorite quotes, as well as a challenge. Today, do something nice for someone else. It doesn't have to be big, because even the smallest acts of kindness can make all the difference, but I challenge you. Have an awesome day! :)
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
-The Lorax
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
-Unknown
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
-Gandhi
<3 Stephanie
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
-The Lorax
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
-Unknown
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
-Gandhi
<3 Stephanie

No comments:
Post a Comment