Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Healthier BLT

In high school, a popular place to eat with my friends was Cafe Express. When I was a vegetarian, it was definitely a favorite. One of the entrees I used to order a lot was the BLT. Awhile back, I had some leftover turkey bacon I needed to use, so decided to come up with my own version of a BLT.

Servings: 1

Ingredients:
3 slices Jennie-O Turkey Bacon- Extra Lean 95% Fat Free- Cured
1/2 small Hass avocado
2 slices wheat bread
Baby spinach leaves
1/2 Roma tomato, chopped

Directions:
If you have a George Forman Grill, skip the first step about toasting your bread. Using a toaster, toast your bread to your liking. If you don't have a toaster, use a skillet on the stove, or the oven.  Cook your bacon according to the package. For me, I do 375 degrees (F) for 10 minutes, place them directly on the rack, and flip the pieces over at 5 minutes. Using a knife, cut up your tomato and avocado, and then spread your avocado evenly between your bread slices, and place the tomato slices on 1 slice. For the other slice, place your spinach on top of the avocado. When the bacon is finished, let it cool, and then place in between the slices, and close. If you already toasted your bread, you're ready to eat! If you're using a George Forman Grill, grill as if you were making a panini, and enjoy! :)



For the BLT pictured, I used a toaster instead of my grill. I also couldn't wait to take a bite before taking a picture...sorry! Depending on the ingredients you use, nutrition can vary. However, mine came out to be 295 calories for the entire thing. I realize I'm missing the "L" part of a BLT, but, I didn't have any lettuce, and needed to use the rest of my spinach. If you prefer a more traditional BLT, you can swap the spinach for lettuce, and switch out the avocado for light mayo.

Happy eating! :)

<3 Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment