Thursday, July 5, 2012
Pita Pizza AKA Pitta
As a student, sometimes it can be hard to find recipes that are not only cheap, but you can make for one. Like most people I know, I LOVE pizza! Sometimes, it's very tempting to order it in, or go out to a local pizza place. However, I've found that making my own at home is not only cheaper, but more fun! I can customize it any way I'd like, it allows me to experiment with different variations and combinations, and it allows me to satisfy my pizza craving with less calories and sodium.
When I first made this recipe a few days back, I threw everything together, rolled it up, and had it cold. The next time I made it, however, I decided to experiment some, and put it in the oven. As a result, I ended up with my own version of a mini pizza, minus the tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. Instead, I used hummus as the sauce, and feta as my cheese. I try to get the majority of my veggie servings at dinner, so added in a colorful variety for my toppings.
Servings: 1
Ingredients:
1 Kronos Authentic Pita Bread- Honey Wheat
2 tbsp HEB Red Pepper Hummus
1/4 cup baby spinach leaves
1/2 Roma tomato, diced
1/8 cup Kraft feta cheese crumbles
1/2 raw cucumber, diced
1 slice Jennie-O turkey bacon
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. When ready, place the turkey bacon slice on the oven rack for 10 minutes. While the bacon is cooking, prepare a cookie sheet with non-stick spray (I used PAM), and place the pita bread in the middle. Take the hummus and spread evenly over the bread, and then take half of your spinach leaves, and layer them on top of the hummus. While you wait for the bacon to cook, take a small bowl and combine the bell pepper, tomato, cucumber, and feta. When the bacon is done, let it cool for a few minutes, and then tear it into bite sized pieces, add it to the bowl, and then evenly distribute the contents from the bowl over the pizza. Lastly, top off your pizza with the remaining spinach.
Place the cookie sheet in the oven, and let it cook for 5-8 minutes, depending on how you like your crust. If you like a softer crust with your cheese not completely melted, use less time. If you prefer a crispier crust with your cheese fully melted, use more. Once finished, take the cookie sheet out of the oven, and let it cool at least 10 minutes before eating.
All together, it came out to 322 calories for the entire recipe, and was very satisfying! For an extra serving of veggies, I had mine with a side of baby carrots, and also had a glass of water. It was fun to experiment, and next time I plan to try a different combination. Happy eating!
<3 Stephanie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Looks super delish. I'm definitely going to give this a try!
ReplyDeletethanks! let me know how you like it! :)
Delete