Friday, October 19, 2012

Hiking Grey Rock

First off, I'd just like to give a warning and say that this post is very picture heavy. So, I apologize! :)

 After our hike at Horsetooth Saturday morning, we were ready to tackle the next one. However, the weather had a different idea. :( When we arrived at Grey Rock, it was cold, windy, and rainy. Originally, we had to decide between a hike in Estes, or Grey Rock. Both were due for bad weather, so we took our chances with Grey Rock. We decided to wait out the rain a bit, and passed the time by eating lunch in the car.


We each packed a variety of foods from campus to get us through the hike, so I brought a veggie pack, wrap, banana, and plenty of water. The wrap was a whole wheat tortilla with red pepper hummus, cucumber, spinach, and red bell pepper slices as well. I had the banana and wrap for lunch, and saved the veggies for the hike. The veggie box included a nice variety of cucumber, carrots, grape tomatoes, broccoli, red pepper slices, and celery, which I happily enjoyed after we reached the top and took a break. The waiting ended up paying off, however, because the rain stopped, and it turned into such a beautiful day.



We began the hike with multiple layers of clothes, and throughout the entire hike, we had to alternate between just a t-shirt and pants, wishing we had worn shorts, and then bundling up with multiple jackets and gloves. Total, the hike was 5.6 miles, and of course, it took us longer to go up. We began about 12:30, and reached the top about 3:30. However, having Maryanne as my hiking partner made it much easier, and we  ended up talking and laughing about multiple things, as well as goofing off and singing to Fun. and Justin Bieber. :P



As beautiful as the hike was, however, it was devastating for two animal/nature lovers to see the thousands of dead trees from either beatles that killed them, or a huge fire awhile back that destroyed tons. :(


 Overall, the hike wasn't too bad, especially with the scenery...until we reached the actual rock. I might have grown up as a dancer, but when it comes to climbing, I'm not very graceful. Plus, the altitude change and slickness from the rain added some difficulty as well. In these pictures, we were about 2/3 of the way through the hike, and were overly enthusiastic about starting the hardest part of the hike.



 But, once we reached the top, none of that mattered anymore. It was incredibly windy, but so quiet at the same time. I'm lucky enough to have been able to go on multiple hikes, as well as to multiple national parks, throughout my life, and each one has been amazing. The feeling of being on top of Grey Rock was amazing, and the view was indescribable. I've always loved nature, but this hike made me love it even more.









We decided to rest while at the top, and filled up with food and water for the hike down. However, because it's us, we also decided to take some more goofy pictures before we headed back down. :P Every time we get together, silly pictures are a must!



We finally made it back down a little before 5:30, and were EXHAUSTED. Between Horsetooth and Grey Rock, we hiked around 8.6 miles. However, all of it was well worth it, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. The only bad thing, however, was that neither of us realized how sore we were until later on! Even as I sit here and write this, I can still feel it!

Every time Maryanne and I get together, we always create great memories. However, this trip is definitely one of my favorites. I already miss her, as well as Colorado, and I can't wait to go back. :)

<3 Stephanie



2 comments:

  1. Wow! Beautiful landscapes! I really wish I had the opportunity to visit family/friends in a place where hiking was an option. I think my fiance would be more up for hiking as exercise--he enjoys outdoors and foresty places. He's not much for going out for a run like I do, walking long distances is his interest. Maybe some day he and I could make a trip somewhere to hike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Y'all should definitely plan one! I reallyyyy want to visit Big Bend, especially since it's right here in Texas! :)

    ReplyDelete